For years, Log4J has been the de facto logging framework for Java. I’m not sure if most developers are already aware of this but there are a lot of other neat things you can do with Log4J aside from writing debug lines to plain text files.
Among them are sending notifications through email, IM or even JMS when your log levels reach a certain threshold. It’s a pretty useful feature especially if you need to be notified in real-time of problems encountered in your application.
I’d like to share with you some articles which I found useful about this topic:
- Reporting Application Errors by Email
- Receive Application Errors via Yahoo Messenger
- Instant logging: Harness the power of log4j with Jabber
- Develop an Asynchronous Logging Framework using log4j with JMS and WebSphere MQ
- Track Your Apps with the Open Source Logging Framework, Log4j
So whether you’re developing a desktop or a web application in Java it’s nice to know that you have these options.